Select language: zh-CNesdefrja

Police Department - Professional Services Frequently Asked Questions SECTIONS: Home Complaint Procedure Print Complaint Form (PDF ) Mayor's Community Relations Committee Internal Affairs - Annual Reports Frequently Asked Questions Officer's Code of Conduct Garrity Warning (for Officers) How do I file a complaint?There are several options to choose from.  Most importantly, you will need to download, print, and fill out a Personnel Complaint form (CPD form #75).  This can also be picked up at Internal Affairs during business hours or at the Information Desk in the Police Department located in the basement of City Hall.  This form asks for basic information about you (the complainant) and the details of the incident you wish to have investigated.  Be sure to sign and date it at the bottom, then return the form to Internal Affairs.  You will then be contacted by an Internal Affairs officer who will arrange an interview.  At that point, the process of investigation is started.  But remember...nothing will begin on the case until the complaint form is received by our office.Where can I find Internal Affairs?We are located on the 3rd floor of City Hall at 218 Cleveland Ave. SW, Canton, OH, 44702.  We are open from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., closing for lunch from 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.  The office is closed Saturday and Sunday.  However, outside of these business hours you may obtain a complaint form from the information desk at the Police Department or on this Web site.What Constitutes Making an Official Complaint?Internal Affairs investigates the conduct of our officers or employees.  The office will not contest what you (the complainant) were charged with criminally, or cited for in a traffic violation.  All charges will be handled through a court of law.  Our office looks into the actions of our officers both on and off duty.  Sworn officers are held to a higher standard and are expected to handle themselves in a manner conducive to that decree of conduct (see Code of Conduct).  If you believe that a Canton Officer did not act with proper conduct and professionalism, then you are encouraged to file an official complaint with the Canton Police Department Internal Affairs Office. Who works in Internal Affairs?The Office of Internal Affairs is actually a bureau of the Canton Police Department under the direction of Chief Bruce Lawver.  The operations of this office is headed by the commanding officer, who is currently Sgt. Doug Zartman.  How long does an investigation take to complete?The investigations of Internal Affairs may take up to ninety (90) days to reach completion, however, most investigations are concluded much earlier than the ninety days.  Depending on the nature and severity of the investigation, and the number of witnesses and officers to be interviewed, investigations rarely will extend beyond the ninety days.  If the investigation does go beyond the permitted ninety days, the complainant will receive notice from the Internal Affairs Office explaining the delay in the investigation. How long before I am notified of the outcome of the investigation?Once the office of Internal Affairs has completed the investigation of the complaint and the completion is presented to the Chief of Police for his review, his office will send to you a letter notifying you of the results.  The letter will state that the complaint is: Sustained - the complaint is supported Not Sustained - insufficient evidence to either prove or disprove the complaint Unfounded - the complaint was false or did not occur Exonerated - the act of the complaint occurred but was justified, legal and proper under the circumstances Referred - the complaint is decided by another authority, for example, criminal or traffic court.  If you have any questions concerning the results, you are encouraged to contact the Chief of Police. 

Home > Public Safety > Police > Internal Affairs > IA Frequently Asked Questions